Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Cycles...

Jace just learned a lesson on the cycle of life. He being the man of the house(right now) had to be the one to take care of a dying creature. We found a newborn critter on our rug...the cat was playing with it. It was bald and shaking. Eyes still shut. I knew..no matter what we did, it was unfortunately beyond saving. As hard as it is..the only humane thing was to shorten it's suffering. I looked at Jace (14) and he knew he had to step up. He quietly took it outside and came back in just as quietly. He didn't say a word..and I am grateful, but more importantly as silly as it sounds..I know he took one step closer to growing up today. We looked up the critter online and identified it as an infant mouse..which means there is probably a nest somewhere and our cats are doing their job...aw man...just the same..Jace and I are still very sad. I know it's nature and it is the great cycle of life...

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Awww, bless his heart!!! That's a tough learning experience that's for sure!! He's braver than I would have been!

Beautiful Mess said...

Watching our men grow up is difficult...and necessary. Thankful you had him, so you didn't have to kill it yourself :)

That cycle of life...beautiful, and sad

Paula said...

Oh, that's a tough one. He's a good boy. He'll be a good man, too.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a scene out of Old Yeller or Charlotte's Web. Not quite the same but you know what I'm saying.