Friday, May 14, 2010

A BIG FAT BAND-AID

This is one of those posts that will probably require my disclaimer....

*Dear reader of my blog, these are my thoughts and my opinions. If you find me selfish, irritating, too far left, too far right, too open, too shallow, non politically correct, too politically correct, too Christian, not Christian enough, have too many children, not enough children, too fat, too thin, pissed that I don't homeschool, worried if I do homeschool, can't believe I eat meat, think I'm starving my children if we are vegetarians, hate me if I like Obama, curse me if I vote Republican, accuse me of polluting the environment if I don't drive a hybrid, call me granola that I buy organic or don't like me at all, then may I suggest you give yourself a tree loving, oil coveting, atheistic hug in the name of Christ and quietly read someone else's blog.*


The further I dive into the world of non-profit..the more aware I become of how human we ALL are, and unfortunately the more "christian" they proclaim they are..the more corrupt they seem to be. Or better yet...the micro-scopic lens seems be focused on them. I see competition among organizations. I see competition in fundraising. I see competition among causes. It can get overwhelming and discouraging. I see one tracked mindness. Unfortunately, I see more separation and competition than I do unity. I have more than once been so caught up in my own agenda that I lack the capacity to see what God desires of me. I support your cause therefore you should support mine...THE ONLY CAUSE THAT IS WORTH SUPPORTING IS....not your cause, your friends cause, the "Christian" cause, the ethical cause....IT is to be like CHRIST. And I pray you know the same Christ I do...He did not hide in his church, He did not jump on the newest bandwagon, He did not hang with only "good Christian people", He didn't only support a certain organization or cause, He didn't only eat certain foods and drink certain beverages. The Christ I know...loved. He loved all inspite of themselves. He ate. He drank. He loved. He did not separate...He wanted unity. Yes, He came with a message. Seemed to me the people He got angry with..wasn't the "drunkards, the prostitutes, the "sinners"..He had a beautiful compassion on them...it was the hypocrite, the religious, the organization that proclaimed God..yet outwardly turned their backs on the unworthy that bothered Him. My point...I think it is way too easy to get caught up in "our" cause..whether it be adoption, water, discipleship, human trafficking, special needs, animal rights, civil rights, marriage equality, environmental issues..etc, that we forget or are unable to recognize anything outside of our "cause". Wheter your cause be adoption, water, human trafficking, maternal care, marriage equality, environmental issues, special needs, medical awareness...we are all fighting for the same thing. Why can't we support each other? You feel called to adoption funding? Great...then support organizations that work on prevention as well. You want to help the 14 year old sex slave..great! Then also support older children adoption and your local womens shelter. You feel called towards water? Sweet...then also spread the word that most water is collected by women and they spend 6+ hours a day finding it..even in their 9th month of pregnancy...then spread the word of an organization that helps with pre-natal care...We could do so much more by uniting than getting caught up in our own cause

7 comments:

Shonni said...

Amen...great post!

Andrea said...

Good stuff! Thank you!

Emily said...

fantastic post :) Its all inerrelated no cause is a cause in itself.

Unknown said...

This is one of my favorite blog posts EVER! I loved it!

Adam said...

This world is such a testing place for all of us, isn't it?

It reminds me how human and imperfect I really am.

Thank the Lord for grace! I know I need it!

Paula said...

Very good post and very, very, true.

Beautiful Mess said...

Phew! That felt better reading it--hopefully you felt better writing it! and I HOPE people will LISTEN!

commUNITY! Be a part of IT!