Thursday, March 24, 2011

A New Adventure

My family is starting a new adventure...At least I am. I'm praying the rest of the crew will join me.
At 38 I decided it's time to learn a 2nd language. I'm talking to really learn it. I can say a few words in multiple languages, but to actually speak, write and read another language has always been a dream of mine. I'm a little nervous. The cost was more than I had to spend. Hoping it will become an investment instead of another crazy idea I had gone awry. To be honest....I struggle with language in general. Those of you who know me and have had any lengthy conversations with me understand what I'm talking about. I get so thought disoriented and my words don't always come out right even in English. I'm also not picking the most practical language. It's used in one country and it's not even spoken by everyone there. It is spoken by many of the people I love. It's spoken in the country that I consider home. When I hear it spoken it awakens my soul....kind of like when I hear bagpipes playing. My spirit feels connected to a place that is deep in my roots. Unlike my Irish ancestry that runs in my blood....Ethiopia is not in my blood, but it is rooted in my heart and is in the blood of 2 of my children. Here's to a new adventure. Here's to learning Amharic.

2 comments:

Danielle said...

I think it's a wonderful beautiful idea!! "I can do all things through Christ which strengthens me." And you can. I can't wait to hear about this amazing new adventure. Plus at our age, the experts say we should be learning new things....or we'll lose our minds. ...I think I already lost mine!!

I love following what the Lord is doing, even if I don't comment. Life is full and busy. Our family has grown to a whopping 15 children, but what an adventure we're on!!

I send my love and my prayers! Your amazing!!
In Him,
Danielle

Paula said...

Oh, good luck! I think that's great. I would love to learn Amharic, but it's a bit ambitious for me at this point... you can be my tutor in a year. :)