Wednesday, September 19, 2007

To Know or Not to Know

Okay, I think I finally settled on a blog template. So, hopefully I will quit erasing stuff.

Every week I have a new poll (a would you rather question). Some are funny, some are serious and some are just plain stupid. My sister-in-law introduced me to the would you rather game a few years ago. The kids and I play it a lot. It's an amazing way to open up topics for discussion.

This last week, my question was would you rather know when you're going to die or not know. Before I messed up the blog for the second time in a week, it was pretty obvious nobody wanted to know.

My first thought is No way do I want to know, but then I started thinking about my sister. She passed away a little over a year ago. She was 37. She went to sleep on a Sunday night and never woke up. Do you think she would have wanted to know it was her last month, her last week, day, hour or breath? How would she have spent her last day?

So, would I want to know? No, I wouldn't. The Sunday before she died, we read James 4:13 in church.

Now listen, you who say, "Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money." Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. Instead, you ought to say, "If it is the Lord's will, we will live and do this or that."

I never would have thought a week later, I would be reading this same passage at my sister's funeral. We don't know how long we have on this earth. Like in Marions case, her time was a few months, but she was loved, cherished and she touched hundreds of people across the globe. How are you spending your time? How am I spending my time? My sister's death and my baby Marion's death have taught me this:

Live and love today as if it's your last.
With that said, I am off to go hug my babies, call my mom to tell her how much I love her and embrace my husband.

2 comments:

Laura said...

Absolutely love your new template! You are such an inspiration.

Brandi said...

I actually think I'd want to know. . .I just think it would give me a platform to speak. . people take you seriously if you can say, "I'm dying soon and here's what the most important thing I want you to remember is. . ." Don't you think that would be a great platform for the gospel?! Anyways, I'm weird, but those are my thoughts! ha ha

Can you tell I'm starting from the beginning now? Greg's watching a football game and I'm in the boys' room waiting for Davis to fall asleep!

Brandi